If you own a recreational vehicle (RV), you know that there are specific needs to consider when looking for insurance coverage. Nationwide, one of Money’s best RV insurance providers offers a range of options to protect your home on wheels. In this comprehensive review, we will delve into Nationwide RV insurance coverage, discounts, pros, and cons to help you make an informed decision.
Nationwide is a reputable insurance company that provides comprehensive coverage options for RV owners. Their policies include basic insurance coverage along with various add-ons to ensure you have the protection you need on the road. Here, we will explore the key aspects of Nationwide RV insurance.
Nationwide RV Insurance Coverage Options
Bodily Injury Liability
Nationwide’s bodily injury liability plan covers the costs associated with bodily injury damages in an accident where you are at fault. It provides coverage for an injured party’s income loss and medical bills up to your coverage limit.
Uninsured motorist coverage reimburses you for damages or injuries caused by a driver who does not have any liability insurance. You will receive reimbursements up to your coverage limits.
In cases where a driver has insurance but insufficient coverage, Nationwide’s underinsured motorist coverage steps in. It pays for the portion of your damages not covered by the other driver’s insurance, up to your coverage limits.
Property Damage Liability Insurance
Property damage liability insurance helps pay for damages to another person’s property or vehicle if you are in an accident that is deemed your fault.
This coverage pays for damage to your RV in various scenarios, including collision with another object or vehicle, rollovers, or being hit by another vehicle.
Nationwide’s medical payments coverage helps pay for medical expenses incurred by you, your passengers, and household members due to accidental bodily injury while in your RV, regardless of who is at fault.
Comprehensive coverage provides protection against non-collision-related incidents such as vandalism, falling objects, contact with animals, hail, fire, and more.
Also Read: RV Insurance Cost Calculator
Nationwide RV Insurance Discounts
One of Nationwide’s strengths lies in its variety of discounts for RV owners. These discounts can significantly reduce your insurance costs. Some of the notable discounts include:
- Multi-policy Discount: Combine your RV insurance with other policies like boat, home, life, or other vehicle insurance for a discount.
- Multi-vehicle Discount: Bundle two or more of your ATVs, boats, motorcycles, snowmobiles, or scooters to receive a discount.
- RV Association Discount: If you’re a member of an RV club, such as the National RV Owners Association, you can qualify for a discount.
- RV Safety Course Discount: Completing an approved state RV safety course, like those provided by the RV Safety and Education Foundation, can earn you a discount.
- Claims-free Renewal Discount: If your previous policy period was claim-free, you can enjoy a discount at renewal.
- Prior Insurance Discount: Maintaining continuous coverage on your RV or camper can qualify you for a premium discount.
- Good Driver Discount: Safe driving and no accidents for 36 consecutive months can result in a discount.
- Paid in Full Discount: Paying your entire premium for your full-term policy when billed can lead to a discount.
It’s important to note that the specific amount of each discount may vary by state, and Nationwide provides details upon submitting a quote request for your RV.
Nationwide RV Insurance Pricing
The cost of RV insurance can vary widely, typically ranging from $500 to $3,000 per year. Several factors influence the cost of RV insurance:
- RV Make, Model, and Value: Older RVs generally have lower premiums, while newer models typically come with higher premiums. Different types of RVs, such as travel trailers and camper vans, also have varying premium rates.
- Usage: Commercial and full-time RV insurance tends to be more expensive due to increased wear and tear on the vehicle compared to occasional recreational use.
- Optional Coverage: Adding optional coverage to your policy will increase your premium.
- Operator Details: Factors such as the sex, age, and marital status of the RV operator can affect premium rates.
As Nationwide does not provide online quotes, you will need to contact Nationwide or visit a local agent to get a personalized estimate based on your specific situation.
Nationwide’s Financial Stability
When choosing an RV insurance provider, it’s crucial to consider their financial stability to ensure you’ll receive reliable coverage and payouts. Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company, the topmost entity of the Nationwide corporate structure, boasts a rating of A+ (Superior) from A.M. Best, indicating strong financial stability.
Nationwide is licensed to operate in all 50 states. However, the terms and availability of RV insurance plans and packages may vary by state, and not all discounts may apply to every policy coverage.
You can reach Nationwide RV insurance by calling 1-877-669-6877 on weekdays from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. EST or on Saturdays from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. EST. For those who prefer in-person assistance, you can also meet with a local Nationwide agent. Unlike some competitors, Nationwide does not offer a 24/7 online chat function.
User Experience with Nationwide RV Insurance
Nationwide’s website, when compared to competitors, may lack comprehensive information about RV insurance policies. While Nationwide offers a learning center, most articles focus on other types of insurance, such as auto, home, and small business insurance. Additionally, Nationwide does not provide access to sample standard policies, making it challenging for potential customers to understand the coverage options available.
Obtaining information through phone calls may also be a bit challenging. When contacting Nationwide customer service for details on RV insurance, some customers have reported that agents could not provide price estimates or even price ranges without specific RV information.
Nationwide RV Insurance Customer Satisfaction
While J.D. Power did not specifically evaluate Nationwide RV insurance customer satisfaction, they did assess customer satisfaction ratings for Nationwide’s auto insurance products in 2022. According to this study, Nationwide received below-average ratings in several regions, including California, Central, Mid-Atlantic, and North Central. However, in the Southeast, Nationwide received above-average customer satisfaction ratings.
It’s worth noting that Nationwide has received an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB), indicating the company’s efforts to address customer complaints in good faith.
Nationwide RV insurance offers a range of coverage options and discounts for RV owners, making it a viable choice for protecting your home on wheels. However, potential customers should be aware of the limitations in obtaining detailed information and quotes through the company’s website and phone calls. Additionally, customer satisfaction ratings vary by region, so it’s advisable to thoroughly research and compare RV insurance options before making a decision.
Also Read: Is Living in an RV Van Cheaper Than Renting