One of the key challenges of van living is limited space, but with some creative thinking, you can maximize every inch of your van for storage. Utilizing vertical space can help you make the most of your van’s height, creating additional storage options. Here are some Vanlife Storage Ideas:
- Overhead Cabinets: Install overhead cabinets or shelves above the bed or seating area to store clothes, books, or other essentials. Use lightweight materials to keep the van’s weight balanced.
- Hooks and Clips: Attach hooks or clips on the walls or ceiling of your van to hang items such as bags, hats, or utensils. This can help keep things organized and easily accessible.
- Shoe Storage: Use shoe organizers that hang over the back of the front seats or on the back of the van’s doors to store shoes or small items.
Multi-Functional Furniture for Hidden Storage
Another creative way to maximize storage in your van is by using multi-functional furniture that serves dual purposes. Here are some ideas:
- Convertible Bed: Opt for a bed that can fold up or convert into a seating area during the day. Underneath the bed, you can have storage drawers or bins to store clothes, shoes, or other belongings.
- Fold-Down Table: Install a fold-down table that can be used as a dining table, work desk, or kitchen counter. When not in use, it can be folded down to create more space.
- Bench with Storage: Build a bench along the sides of your van with hidden storage underneath. This can serve as seating during the day and provide ample storage space for items like camping gear or extra supplies.
Also Read: 10 Best Van Racking Ideas For Carpenters
Utilizing Dead Spaces for Creative Storage
In a van, every nook and cranny can be utilized for storage. Here are some ideas for utilizing dead spaces:
- Under-Bed Storage: Install storage drawers or bins under the bed to store clothes, shoes, or other belongings. You can also use plastic bins or storage bags to slide under the bed and store items like camping gear, tools, or extra supplies.
- Wall Pockets: Hang fabric or mesh pockets on the walls of your van to store small items like toiletries, gadgets, or snacks.
- Kitchen Storage: Utilize the space under the kitchen counter or sink for storing pots, pans, and utensils. Install hooks or magnetic strips on the walls to store knives or other kitchen tools.
Organizing with Storage Containers and Baskets
Using storage containers and baskets can help you keep your van organized and clutter-free. Here are some ideas:
- Plastic Bins: Use plastic bins with lids to store items like clothes, food, or camping gear. Label the bins for easy identification and stack them to save space.
- Wire Baskets: Install wire baskets on the walls or inside cabinets to store fruits, vegetables, or other small items. The wire baskets allow for air circulation and easy visibility of the contents.
- Collapsible Storage: Opt for collapsible storage containers, baskets, or bags that can be folded flat when not in use to save space.
Outdoor Storage Solutions
In van life, outdoor storage solutions can also be handy to keep your van tidy and organized. Here are some ideas:
- Roof Rack: Install a roof rack on your van to store items like bikes, kayaks, or camping gear. Make sure to secure the items properly and follow safety guidelines.
- Hitch Cargo Carrier: Use a hitch cargo carrier at the back of your van to store bulky items like coolers, camping chairs, or extra supplies.
Van Storage Ideas Diy
Van storage ideas DIY can help you optimize the space in your van and keep it organized. Here are some DIY van storage ideas:
- Custom-built Cabinets: Build custom cabinets or shelves using plywood or other durable materials to fit the dimensions of your van. You can create overhead cabinets, under-bed storage, or wall-mounted shelves to store clothes, food, cooking utensils, and other essentials.
- PVC Pipe Storage: Use PVC pipes to create custom storage compartments for items such as fishing rods, camp chairs, or even shoes. Cut the PVC pipes to the desired length, attach them to the walls or ceiling of your van using brackets or straps, and slide in your items for easy and secure storage.
- Bungee Cord Netting: Install bungee cord netting on the walls or ceiling of your van to create a versatile storage solution. You can stretch the bungee cord netting to hold items such as water bottles, hats, or small gear, keeping them securely in place while on the move.
- DIY Pegboard: Install a pegboard on the walls of your van to create a flexible storage system. Attach hooks or pegs to the pegboard to hang items such as cooking utensils, pots, pans, or tools. You can also use the pegboard to create a small workspace or display area for personal items.
- Shoe Organizer: Hang a shoe organizer on the back of the van’s seats or on the side door to store small items such as shoes, toiletries, or snacks. Shoe organizers with clear pockets allow you to easily see and access your items, keeping them organized and within reach.
FAQs: Vanlife Storage Ideas
How do I maximize space in my camper van?
To maximize space in your camper van, you can use vertical space by installing overhead cabinets or shelves, hooks and clips on walls or ceiling for hanging items, and shoe organizers. You can also use multi-functional furniture such as convertible beds or fold-down tables, and utilize dead spaces like under the bed or kitchen counters for storage. Using storage containers, baskets, and outdoor storage solutions like roof racks or hitch cargo carriers can also help maximize space.
How do you keep Vanlife cool?
To keep Vanlife cool, you can use insulation materials to regulate temperature, install reflective window covers or shades to block out sunlight, park in shaded areas or under trees, use fans or vent fans for airflow, and choose campsites with cooler temperatures or near bodies of water for natural cooling. You can also use portable air conditioning units or swamp coolers if you have access to electricity.
How do I pack for Vanlife?
When packing for Vanlife, consider the limited space available in your van. Pack only essential items, prioritize multi-purpose items, and pack light. Utilize storage containers, bags, or bins to keep items organized and secure during travel. Pack weather-appropriate clothing, toiletries, food, cooking utensils, camping gear, and other essentials. Regularly review and update your packing list to avoid clutter and keep your van organized.
Can you use a van for storage?
Yes, you can use a van for storage. Vans can provide additional storage space for belongings that you may not need on a daily basis. You can use under-bed storage, overhead cabinets, wall pockets, or other creative storage solutions in your van to store items such as clothes, food, camping gear, or tools. However, it’s important to keep in mind the weight limits and balance of your van to ensure safe driving and avoid overloading.
Also Read: How to Insure a DIY Camper Van